The Idiom

Can You Grok It? Free Grokistan!

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

"...Because The Revolution's Here. And You Know It's Right."

In light of recent events in the Middle East, The Daily Show’s Jon Stewart voices liberals’ greatest fear. President George W. Bush was right .

Stewart: Do you think they're the guys to--do they understand what they've unleashed? Because at a certain point, I almost feel like, if they had just come out at the very beginning and said, "Here's my plan: I'm going to invade Iraq. We'll get rid of a bad guy because that will drain the swamp"--if they hadn't done the whole "nuclear cloud," you know, if they hadn't scared the pants off of everybody, and just said straight up, honestly, what was going on, I think I'd almost--I'd have no cognitive dissonance, no mixed feelings.

Soderberg: The truth always helps in these things, I have to say. But I think that there is also going on in the Middle East peace process--they may well have a chance to do a historic deal with the Palestinians and the Israelis. These guys could really pull off a whole--

Stewart: This could be unbelievable!

Soderberg:---series of Nobel Peace Prizes here, which--it may well work. I think that, um, it's--

Stewart: [buries head in hands] Oh my God! [audience laughter] He's got, you know, here's--

Soderberg: It's scary for Democrats, I have to say.

Stewart: He's gonna be a great--pretty soon, Republicans are gonna be like, "Reagan was nothing compared to this guy." Like, my kid's gonna go to a high school named after him, I just know it.
Even Liberal icon Daniel Schorr is getting into the act Good Lord!

Kid Various has already put up this disclaimer, but will repeat. Freedom and Enlightenment values will take hold in the Middle East. That is inevitable. But the recent upswing in events, though heartening, may not play out as a radical new birth of freedom. The insurgency could gain momentum in Iraq. The Palestinan-Israeli peace process could be bombed apart. The brave Lebanese in Freedom Square could face another Tiananmen. And if that happens, the people jumping on the bandwagon will go back to spouting prophecies of doom. Remain even keeled!

However, nothing like this has ever happened before and the autocrats in the Middle East are clearly nervous. And that’s just how Kid Various wants them to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home