The Idiom

Can You Grok It? Free Grokistan!

Monday, February 14, 2005

Get A Sense of Humour

Some Canadians of Ukrainian descent are apparently outraged at a Ukrainian winery selling bottles with a picture of Stalin on the label.

Wine labeled with a photo of brutal Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin was pulled from shelves in the Canadian province of Manitoba this week after complaints from the local Ukrainian community, a spokeswoman for government-owned liquor stores said.

I guess in some way I can understand their outrage, but then there's this

"I don't think anyone in Canada would welcome a Hitler Riesling or a Stalin sherry or a Pol Pot port or a Mao Tse-tung merlot," Luciuk said.

I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone at The Idiom when I say that we'd pay top reil for a merlot with Pol Pot on the label. It'd definitely be the #1 gift item brought back from our holiday in Cambodia.

Just like we all wanted the Saddam dinars and the "Young Stalin/Old Stalin" key chains the Kid brought back from Gori. Travel tip: You must go to the Stalin museum in Gori. It's the total bomb for kitsch.

C'mon. It's irony dude! Haven't you ever been to the bar KGB in Manhattan? I mean, what is funnier than mass murder?

1 Comments:

At Monday, February 14, 2005 at 4:49:00 PM EST, Blogger MrSurly said...

I have to say I would like to try some Stalin wine. The Georgian brews are already a rocket fueled adventure so to speak. A tasteless bottle only makes want to see what the fuss is about. I can see how a tasting would go, "fruity with a hint of genocide."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home