The Idiom

Can You Grok It? Free Grokistan!

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thankful

I have a wonderful life.

Some of that is attributable to my own decisions and work. More of it is attributable to the good decisions of my parents and their hard work. As it is also attributable to the decisions made by my grandparents and their hard work. And for these I am thankful.

But the one decision to which I most owe my incredible life, was the decision made by my great-grandparents to get on the boat.

Because without the opportunity afforded by this great nation, all of the hard work and life decisions made by our subsequent generations would have come to naught.

I am so grateful to have been born an American.

I am so thankful to be a citizen of this incredible country which affords it's people opportunities for a magnificent life that are unknown in other corners of the globe, indeed, have been unimagined for the scope of human history.

I give thanks for this amazing society, that has abandoned the comfort of barbaric tribalism for the opportunity made possible by individual freedom. I give thanks for this society, so improbable in its creation, so fragile, who's continued existence, let alone dominance, is far from assured.

On this day, and every day, I give thanks to America. And all who would protect her from the wolves prowling in the outer darkness.

1 Comments:

At Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 11:42:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all the guys at The Idiom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home