The Idiom

Can You Grok It? Free Grokistan!

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Maybe He Thought it Was the "Noble" Prize

Noble prize winning economist Gary Becker and renowned legal scholar and 7th Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Richard Posner have a blog. It's a blog with some big brains behind it. Their joint blog functions not unlike the the Idiom as run by the braintrust known as Mr. Surly, Mr. Scriblerus and pet space monkey Kid Various. Becker and Posner have a dialogue where they discuss the big issues in our great land. I can already hear the hoards rushing to say "Whoa, Mr. Surly, you suck. Becker and Posner rule. How can you compare yourself to these esteemed personages?" Step off. I got one thing they don't -- a freaking spell checker.

While discussing tort reform, they bring up the old canard about the woman who sued McDonald's after spilling hot coffee in her lap, and one of them misspells McDonald's not once, but twice! I'll give you a hint who got it right -- the lawyer. That's right, Becker, a Nobel Prize winner, can't spell McDonald's correctly. I mean if you're gonna bring up for the umpteenth time just about the most cliche legal anecdote of the last decade you should spell the name of the world's biggest restaurant chain correctly. Guess the Nobel Committee doesn't have a spelling requirement.

3 Comments:

At Sunday, January 23, 2005 at 6:03:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It's a blog with some big brains begind it." (emphasis mine)

"Step off. I got one thing they don't -- a freaking spell checker."

Discuss.

Jim
Parkway Rest Stop
http://parkwayreststop.com

 
At Sunday, January 23, 2005 at 11:07:00 AM EST, Blogger MrSurly said...

OK, I said I had a spell checker, I didn't say I used it! Geez. That's what I get for blogging when I am bleary. I am still not so entrenched in academia I forgot what McDonald's is. I'm going to get a Big Mac.

 
At Sunday, January 23, 2005 at 8:21:00 PM EST, Blogger Kid Various said...

Ouch! Mr. Surly has lost ALL credibility!

Hey, you know I was about to insert into that post about the relative lack of knowledge about the Constitution, the fact that candidate petition forms in our state include the following phrase:

"I indorse this candidate."

I was about to jump all over it, but, in checking with dictionary.com, I found that "indorse" is an accepted variant spelling of "endorse."

Who the f*** knew?

Check and verify!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home