The Idiom

Can You Grok It? Free Grokistan!

Monday, July 10, 2006

Well, Where Would YOU Rather Be...?

In Gaza or an Israeli jail?
In a new example of just how bizarre things have become, Palestinian teenagers are trying to get caught by Israeli soldiers so that they can go to prison.

"Ofer was like paradise. You could go to the toilet whenever you wanted, and we had a good time playing football and table tennis in the big courtyard. I started reading good books in there," he said, his hair short and gelled, and a hint of future stubble ringing his thin face. With a shy glance at his father, he added, "And I could stay up as late as I wanted."

Mohammed was pleased to get a seven-month sentence. He was crestfallen when his father, Qasim, paid a $250 bond to get him released early. "I was disappointed. My classmate who was sitting next to me went to jail two days before me and he's still there," he said jealously, suffering his father's glare. "In prison, there's digital television. You can watch everything. Out here, there's nothing."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home